Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
“This has been the most challenging time any of us will likely ever experience as flight attendants,” union president Wesley Lesosky said in a statement.Air Canada confirmed it has begun discussions with its unions on temporary layoffs, but did not say how many of its employees would be affected.In a statement, it attributed the decision to lay off employees to the “rapid evolution” of the new coronavirus pandemic and the reduction in service it has caused.”When conditions permit and service resumes, these employees will be recalled,” the airline said. Air Canada plans to temporarily lay off more than 5,000 flight attendants due to the new coronavirus pandemic, their union said Friday.The layoffs would affect 3,600 flight attendants at the flagship Canadian airline and all 1,549 flight attendants at its budget Air Canada Rouge affiliate, the union that represents the flight attendants said.That accounts for more than half the membership of the Air Canada component of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, which represents roughly 10,000 flight attendants. On Wednesday, the airline said it planned to gradually reduce its domestic and US transborder flights by March 31, after Canada temporarily closed its border with the United States to contain the spread of the virus.Its international service has been reduced from 101 destinations to just six, while its cross-border operations have been cut to just 13 destinations from 53.Air Canada continues to serve domestic destinations but has reduced to 40 airports from 62.Also in the Canadian aviation sector, Longview Aviation Capital, the parent company that produces the Dash 8-400 and Series 400 Twin Otter, announced it was suspending production activities on the aircraft, affecting 980 employees.Topics :
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instructed all regional leaders to maintain a balance between public health and economic activities and not to rush in implementing the so-called “new normal” amid persistently rising COVID-19 cases.He also urged regions not to start easing to keep the economy running without proper public health control.“Don’t ease [the restrictions] without proper control. We don’t want a good economic situation but at the same time rising COVID-19 cases,” the President said in a video conference with Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo during a working visit to Semarang on Tuesday. “Don’t start the new normal phase without the proper stages. We must use scientific data every time we make a policy,” he said.Under the new-normal protocols, people will be allowed to carry out their activities in the public sphere while still following health protocols such as wearing a face mask and practicing physical distancing.The government had previously been endorsing the new-normal procedure as part of efforts to spur the economy amid the current financial crisis that Indonesia and countries the world over are facing.The central government and some regional administrations have started to ease the months-long social restrictions by, among other things, allowing offices, shopping centers and public transportation to resume normal operation.The World Health Organization (WHO) said countries could take steps to ease restrictions and transition toward a new normal, but they had to make sure first that COVID-19 transmission in their regions had been controlled.Indonesia continues to record a significant rise in COVID-19 cases. The Health Ministry announced 1,293 new confirmed cases on Tuesday, bringing the total number of infections nationwide to 56,385 with 2,876 fatalities. (vny)Topics : “What we want is to be able to control COVID-19 and an economic condition that does not disrupt people’s welfare.”He acknowledged that it would not be an easy task to balance both the health and economic sectors amid the crisis, therefore he ordered all stakeholders to engage in better coordination.Jokowi also urged all regional leaders to take insights from epidemiologists and pay attention to scientific data before implementing the new-normal policy. He said local leaders must not push to implement the approach if the experts suggested otherwise, adding that rising COVID-19 cases would indeed worsen the economy.Read also: Indonesia’s premature easing of restrictions risks prolonged first wave
Topics : “What we’ve announced is the beginning. It’s going to continue,” WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris said, calling the number of sign-ups to date “brilliant”. “We all need to be in this together in order to finish this pandemic.”She declined to comment on specific countries and said discussions were ongoing.Asked to elaborate on delays to joining, Harris said some were due to paperwork and the need for parliamentary approval.Other countries, however, appear to have no intention of signing up. More countries will sign up to a global vaccination plan and some of the delays were due to procedural issues rather than doubts about the scheme, a World Health Organization (WHO) official said on Tuesday.The Geneva-based body has said that 156 nations have joined the so-called COVAX plan to deliver some 2 billion vaccine doses globally by the end of next year but big countries such as China, Russia and the United States are missing.About 64 wealthy nations have signed up and more are expected despite missing an official deadline. However, some of those supporting the plan such as France are reluctant to use it to secure vaccines and have instead struck separate supply deals. A Russian government source told Reuters there was no need for his country to take part in the program since it was developing and producing its own vaccine.”Nevertheless, we do not rule out the possibility that our vaccine will in future be offered to participants of COVAX,” the source said.The Russian health ministry did not respond to a request for comment.”China will continue to work with WHO, Gavi and relevant countries on vaccine development,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a news briefing on Tuesday.At the same briefing, Harris said the WHO would make public a WHO internal app giving information on the pandemic which would include comprehensive global and regional overviews.
RelatedPosts Arsenal reject £3m bid for Balogun Several Chelsea players test positive for COVID-19 – Media reports EPL: Saints face Sheffield United test Lys Mousset’s second goal in as many games earned Sheffield United a 1-1 draw at West Ham United on Saturday, with the point sending the newly-promoted side seventh in the Premier League. Somewhat against the run of play, Robert Snodgrass slid the ball into the net after being picked out by Andriy Yarmalenko on the stroke of halftime to give the hosts the lead. October has become something of a difficult month for West Ham in recent years. The Hammers having not tasted victory in their last nine October Premier League matches prior to Saturday’s encounter at London Stadium. That pressure seemed to get to West Ham as the visitors had chance after chance to equalise before Mousset sneaked the ball home from a tight angle in the 69th minute. West Ham had plenty of opportunities to win but they could not find a way past Sheffield United goalkeeper Dean Henderson. The result means the visitors are now unbeaten in their last three, with West Ham without a win in their last five games in all competitions. Reuters/NAN.Tags: Robert SnodgrassSheffield United
Tyson Fury believes Deontay Wilder will be more dangerous than ever before when the two heavyweights meet in their third bout.Fury pummelled Wilder into submission in Las Vegas back in February, in the second of what will be a trilogy of fights. Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas has been reserved for the potential December 19 fight date for the next instalment, which will see a wounded Wilder out for revenge.And the “Gypsy King” reckons the “Bronze Bomber” will be a more fearsome prospect on that night than he has been for either of their two previous meetings.“You know, I take every fight very, very serious,” Fury said to the Gary Newbon Sports Show.“Deontay Wilder is a serious, serious customer and he will get a serious, serious training camp. I know that Deontay Wilder will want to win this more than anything because he’s never lost before.“It’s his time to prove that he can come back, he can become a two-time world heavyweight champion. “He’ll be more dangerous in this fight than he ever has been before. This is the only business that I’m interested in – the only business. And when it happens, it happens and I’ll be waiting in the wings for the call.”Fury believed Wilder can fix certain mistakes and enter the third bout as a better fighter.He said: “I think so. He only needs to land one punch in the right place and it’s over as we’ve seen him do 40-odd times before. You can never, ever, ever write anybody off.“I’ve learned that during my life and my career. I’ve been wrote-off every fight I’ve ever had and I always win.“Never write anybody off. A man who’s lost his last fight, been dropped and everyone’s lost confidence in is always a dangerous man.” The December 19 date has been selected, according to Top Rank’s Bob Arum, for how it fits into the NFL schedule.“We’ve reserved that date for Allegiant Stadium,” Arum said. “The Raiders are playing on that Thursday [December 17], which is perfect.“After the game is over, we put up the ring and so forth. We have a couple of days to do it, and Saturday we have the fight.”—RelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Joshua: Tyson Fury won’t distract me Tags: Deontay WilderGypsy KingLas VegasTyson Fury
Press Association Paul McGinley has offered to help any future European Ryder Cup captains after his impressive tenure ended in a five-point win at Gleneagles. “The Ryder Cup has been very good to me and I’m quite happy now to take very much a background (role),” McGinley said. “I’ve got a role now in deciding who the next captain will be and we’ll see where that goes in the next few months on behalf of the European Tour.” McGinley was asked if he would consider being a vice-captain in future, but added: “No, I’ve done my piece and I’m happy to have the honour and happy to help in any way going forward. “I don’t think it would be right for me to go into the vice captaincy role. I don’t know if I’d quite enjoy that, having done it, and then stepped up to captaincy. “But I’m very happy to help the captain in any way. On the European side, obviously!” With recent tradition dictating that captaincy is a one-match affair, it is unlikely that McGinley will get another chance to lead a team in the biennial contest. However, under a new selection process, McGinley and the two previous captains – Jose Maria Olazabal and Colin Montgomerie – will have a say in deciding the captain for Hazeltine in 2016.
Crayons, glue, pencils, bullet-resistant backpack….check.For some parents, that’s what a back-to-school shopping list looks like this year.Guard Dog Security’s ProShield Scout backpacks are stocked for back-to-school season at Office Max and Office Depot stores and on the retailers’ website.Signs on the display say, “protection in session” and “bullet resistant backpack.”The office supply stores are not alone. Homedepot.com and other retailers also sell the brand. They cost around 200 bucks.But will a bulletproof backpack save your child’s life?
..Taylor, Williamson register centuries(REUTERS)-Ross Taylor and Kane Williamson scored centuries as New Zealand posted a massive 582 for four declared in their first innings against Zimbabwe on the second day of the second Test yesterday.Zimbabwe, in reply, were 55 without loss at stumps, with recalled opener Tino Mawoyo (20 not out) and Chamu Chibhabha (31 not out) having kept the tourists at bay for 30 overs after New Zealand declared their innings at tea.However, the day belonged to Taylor (124 not out) and Williamson (113), the latter becoming the 13th and, at 26, the youngest player to score a century against all Test-playing nations. He did so in 91 innings, the quickest the feat has ever been accomplished.Taylor passed Martin Crowe in third on the list of all-time New Zealand test run-scorers as he bagged his third unbeaten Test century in a row against the Zimbabweans with another high-class knock.New Zealand resumed on 329 for two with Williamson quickly bringing up the five runs he needed for his century off 136 balls.He eventually fell chasing a wide delivery from seamer Michael Chinouya as he picked out Craig Ervine at gully.Henry Nicholls (15) was out leg before wicket to home skipper Graeme Cremer, before Taylor and BJ Watling (83 not out) put on an unbeaten stand of 193.Zimbabwe scored only 22 runs off the first 20 overs of their reply, before upping the rate as the ball got older. They require another 328 runs to avoid the follow-on. NEW ZEALAND 1st inningsM. Guptill lbw b Tiripano 87T. Latham c&b Williams 136K. Williamson c Ervine b Chinouya 113R. Taylor not out 124H. Nicholls lbw b Cremer 15B. Watling not out 83Extras (b-12 lb-3 nb-8 w-1) 24Total (for 4 wickets declared, 150 overs) 582Fall of wickets: 1-169 M. Guptill,2-329 T. Latham,3-369 K. Williamson,4-389 H. NichollsDid not bat: M. Santner, I. Sodhi, T. Southee, N. Wagner, T. BoultBowling: D. Tiripano 25 – 4 – 102 – 1(nb-5), M. Chinouya 22 – 6 – 64 – 1,C. Chibhabha 12 – 2 – 45 – 0(nb-1), G. Cremer 36 – 2 – 147 – 1(nb-1),J. Nyumbu 34 – 3 – 107 – 0, S. Williams 13 – 0 – 62 – 1,S. Raza 4 – 0 – 17 – 0, P. Masvaure 4 – 0 – 23 – 0(nb-1 w-1).ZIMBABWE 1st inningsT. Mawoyo not out 20C. Chibhabha not out 31Extras (b-4) 4Total (for no loss, 30 overs) 55Fall of wickets:To bat: S. Raza, C. Ervine, P. Masvaure, S. Williams, P. Moor, G. Cremer, D. Tiripano, J. Nyumbu, M. ChinouyaBowling: T. Southee 9 – 8 – 4 – 0, T. Boult 5 – 3 – 6 – 0,M. Santner 7 – 1 – 28 – 0, N. Wagner 5 – 2 – 8 – 0, I. Sodhi 4 – 2 – 5 – 0
THE sixth Annual Junior Indoor Hockey Championships are scheduled to run from Wednesday, November 6, to Sunday November 10 at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall. According to a release from the Guyana Hockey Board (GHB), more than one hundred children are expected to participate in the five-day event in categories ranging from seven years old right up to twenty-one.Simco Engineering Inc. is the sponsor for the Mixed Under-10 division which always produces fun and a lot of laughs for kids and parents.The GCC Thunderbolts are the defending champions and will be challenged once again by last year’s runners-up, Saints, as well as the Underdogs, Panthers, YMCA Old Fort and Hikers. The Under-13 Mixed competition is split into two groups with defending champions, SHC Scalpels, and runners up, SHC Scorchers, both appearing in pool A. The GCC Eagles and Hikers round out the pool. Group B features the GCC Falcons along with the SHC Snipers and SHC Samurai.Farfan & Mendes Ltd are the sponsors of the boys and girls under-16 competitions. The girls division sees defending champions GBTI GCC Spartans take on SHC Supreme, SHC Sensations, YMCA Old Fort and the GCC Her-ricanes. The boys’ competition will see a battle among the GCC War Dogs, SHC shockwave, SHC Silencers, YMCA Old Fort and defending champions, St Joseph’s Warriors.The senior Division is sponsored once again by Sunshine Snacks and features both girls and boys under 21 teams. YMCA Old Fort is the defending champions in the ladies division but will face tough opposition in the GBTI GCC Spartans and Saints. On the boy’s side, the GCC Pitbulls hope to retain their crown against Saints and YMCA Old Fort.Matches begin at 17.00hrs each weekday with the weekend matches beginning at 10.00hrs and 12 noon on Saturday and Sunday respectively. The Sunshine Snacks Under-21 competitions and the Farfan & Mendes Under-16 competitions will begin during the week and conclude on Sunday while the Simco Engineering Under-10 and the Sunshine Snacks Under-13 will run off on Saturday.